The treasures of the Romanesque in the Loir Valley
This church is a complex Romanesque building, whose date has been contested. Most likely constructed at the end of the XIth C., the church distinguishes itself with a belfry porch with partially walled Romanesque windows (the upper section was destroyed in 1590). The walls of the nave are embellished on the outside with small columns and modillons. The apse and oriented chapels have undergone much restoration work.
One must walk patiently around this church and look for the sculpted stones included in the construction, particularly the curious serpent at the north wall.
The nave is covered on the inside with a panelled vault. The side-aisles present arch diaphragms which connect the pillars to the side walls. The large semi-circular vaults rest on square pillars embellished with a simple impost with a running foliage decoration or imaginary animals.
The chancel, which is vaulted in a cul-de-four (half done), is preceded by a right bay with two arches resting on round columns with curious solid capitals, decorated with spirals, knot-work, felines, and faces which are barely outlined and are difficult to date. These elements may have been reemployed from the former church.