The chateau de Lavardin rises imposingly over the village and dominates the countryside even as it did with it defended the local lords long ago.
It rests now in ruins, a silhouettes magestic and powerful. It is mysterious also like fairytale castle or a dream in stone... .
A little further is the l’escalier d’honneur which was reserved for important guests. Above the enterance is the blazon of Jean VIII de Bourbon-Vendôme who, in XVe century remodeled the fortress and even its ruins have an elegance and incomparable beauty
The highest level, le donjon keep spikes towards the sky with is high wall embellished still by gracious remenants of is elaborate ornamentation. In spite of the destruction of King Henry the fourth one discovers voult of nervous elegance, small sculpted figures, and a spiral staircase with delicate gothic fluting.
Here lived the lord of Lavardin. Here, in 1448, Jean VIII met with Charles VII and his beautiful mistress, Agnès Sorel to sign the treaty of Lavardin which brought a temporary peace between the French and the English. .
Ve: The Turris dominica, wooden tower Merovingian
IXe: The site is strengthened to withstand the invasions of the Vikings.
Xe: A charter of 989 mentions the existence of a fortress Lavardin.
XI: Dungeon built by Solomon, then build a tower stone by Solomon II and Hervé Beaugency.
XII: Bouchard IV flanks the dungeon of a semi-circular tower. Erection of speakers.
XIV: John VII restored the castle and its defense systems.
XV: Embellishments by John VIII: vaulted dungeon, fireplaces, staircases, staircase.
1590: Dismantling of the fortress on the orders of Henry IV.