Today the village Hall
The Priory Saint Genest was a rectory till 1949; today it is the village Hall. Located
opposite the Church of Saint-Genest, its origin dates back to the twelfth century.
11 meters long and 5.70 meters wide, with thick walls over a meter, the building was Romanesque. But in the late thirteenth century, the priory is undergoing transformations, two storeys of ribbed vaults and other buildings have disappeared.
On the ground floor, one notices delicate arches that adorn the ceiling while the back wall two Romanesque windows were bricked up.
Upstairs, the hall now used for village hall comprises two vaulted bays of warheads. It was formerly divided by a wall because it was the residence of the prior-cure.
Since the rectory became the village Hall, the wall was removed to find and admire the room as a whole.
The priory remains one of the oldest buildings in Lavardin, if not the oldest.